Engage: Students identify heat, light, and sound energy in different equations.
Instruct students to use the animation to create energy equations.
Lead a discussion about each equation using sentence stems such as:
- If I can hear something, it has ________ energy.
- Something that gives off light has ________ energy.
- Something that gets warmer or cooler has ________ energy.
- If I (cut or saw) the (wood), it makes (sound energy).
- When a (lit match) is (placed on wood), it creates (fire), which has (heat) energy.
- I can use (my hands) on a (piano or drum) to create (sound energy).
Record the discussion on chart paper.
What other light, heat, and/or sound energy equations can you make? Create three other energy equations: one for light energy, sound energy, and heat energy.
How do you know that something has light energy? Sound energy? Heat energy?